Michael gets my vote for dad of the year. Yesterday, he managed to keep Sylvie on her medicine schedule the entire day and Sylvie loved having him around. In between all the medical shenanigans, he managed to go to yoga in the morning and the gym in the afternoon. Michael said that a guy approached him at the gym and asked about his frenetic workout. Michael didn't want to tell him that he had to be home by three to give his daughter medicine.
When I got home from work, Sylvie exclaimed, "Mommy, Daddy made you salmon!" and somehow he managed to prepare a fantastic dinner amidst the crazy day. The best part though was watching Sylvie eat a third of my salmon.
This morning, I had to run into the city for a doctor's appointment, so Sibel brought Sylvie to the Reuten clinic and I met them later. Sylvie was in the best spirits EVER today, including while at the hospital. And best news of all, Sylvie gained nearly 3 pounds since last Thursday. That's amazing!!! I am thrilled!!! Then, Annette came in to discuss Sylvie's lab work.
Sylvie's ANC count is 140 which is still low, but it's getting better. Her platelets are still critically low so I am really hoping we can get through the weekend without a situation. The counts are still too low for chemo to resume next week which isn't a big deal because at least Sylvie can have a "normal" week. Dr. Halpern came in, also thrilled at how great Sylvie looks. He suggested that we keep Sylvie on TPN until Sylvie's done with chemo which at this rate will be another four weeks at $600/day. I just want to say that it is VERY technical and difficult drawing the two tiny vials into a syringe and injecting into the "big" IV bag. But that's just a test because the next challenge is turning the pump on. It's preprogrammed to run for the allotted time but if it's not assembled EXACTLY the right way it will not work. Michael has become an expert. So has Sylvie.
When we got home from the hospital, Catherine and Sammy were waiting for us at home. Sylvie and Samantha at a little lunch together. It's incredible hearing them talk. They usually talk about princesses.
I'm not sure if I've ever explained that the way some of Sylvie's chemo drugs work is by killing the fastest growing cells in her body (i.e. cancer cells, hair follicles) and thus causes hair loss. Not only has Sylvie lost 99% of her hair at this point, but her eyelashes too. When I kissed her goodnight tonight, I counted three remaining eyelashes on her right eyelid. There are already new lashes growing; I hope they come back just as long. She's been wearing the crocheted flower cap that I got her in March and she looks like a little flapper girl.
We took Sylvie to her friend Nicholas's birthday party this evening but she was a little past prime. I was thrilled Catherine and Sara were there, too because Sylvie really like them In fact, Sylvie only had eyes for Catherine tonight. I forgot to tell Catherine that last night Sylvie said she didn't want to get her hair cut anymore and could she let it grow like Catherine's. She asked if we could go to the hair salon and have them give her long hair back.
Sylvie has the official green light to go to Dan Zanes at the Museum of Natural History on Sunday. Yippee. I hope Sylvie has an awesome time and isn't scared of the giant blue whale dangling above Dan's head. I only hope that if she meets Dan after the show, that she does not say, "Where's Laurie Berkner?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment