Monday, July 20, 2009

Sylvie's Dream

They weren't kidding when they said Sylvie's counts would recover sluggishly after her sixth round of chemo. I took her to the Reuten clinic this morning where she was thrilled to see her favorite clowns and volunteers. The volunteers are all pretty young Orthodox girls and Sylvie adores them... Hadassah, Devorah, Stephanie... they are awesome. Annette is on vacation so we saw an Advance Practice Nurse who we had never met. Suzanne, one of Sylvie's favorite nurses in the clinic, was there too, fortunately. She had a brand new box of Hello Kitty band aids for Sylvie.

Sylvie's platelets were only 33, still critically low. Hemoglobin under 9. She's eating a little better but still not enough to be left to her own appetite. This means she needs more TPN at night and has to go back on Wednesday.

I did get a little angry when juggling phone calls with Tracey the physical therapist and Oxford only to learn the reason Sylvie has sat on her ass since being discharged from the hospital last Wednesday is because the hosptial forgot to fax in the 'continue PT' referral prescription. So when I asked our APN for the day if she could fax it in, she intimated that she was busy and could do it later. I told her that was totally unacceptable. I then asked the receiptionist at the clinic if she could do it an an Oncologist who I had never met overheard and said she'd talk to Dr. Harris and get it taken care of. Hallelujah.

Tracey came over at 3:30 but Sylvie was so tired that she wasn't as participatory. She's returning sometime on Friday.

You know you're a VIP at Town & Country pharmacy when you recognize the pharmacist's voice on the phone :-). Only a few more days of Neupogen! I had hoped yesterday would be it but she needs a few more days.

We took Lucky for a walk tonight and from the Bob Revolution jogging stroller, Sylvie said, "Last night I had a dream."
I asked her what it was about...I was pretty excited. She's never said that before! I imagined something hospital, princess, rainbow, Barbie-related. Au contraire.
"Soda. Grandma's soda. I only took a little sip." Then she proceeded to tell Michael and me how much she liked it, how it made her tummy feel better.
My mom swears it was only a teeny sip... that's what they say about crack, too. Michael and I had to hide how much we enjoyed Sylvie's toddler soliloquy.

No comments:

Post a Comment