Friday, July 31, 2009

Rain Rain Go Away

Crazy night. Intermittant power outtages from 7 until 11. Sylvie loves flashlights and was undeterred. I am going to tell her the TV doesn't work for as long as possible. I was outside with the 2 dogs, off leash at 11 when we lost power again.

In the meantime, my sister-in-law was in labor at Valley Hospital and according to the middle of the night emails from my brother, the back up generator was not working. As you might imagine, it affects the fetal heart rate monitor, pitocin pump, epidural pump, etc. So they made them move hospitals mid-labor! HUMC wouldn't accept a woman in labor so they ended up at Holy Name in Teaneck with a new doctor. As I emailed my brother this morning (before we lost power again), baby Dylan Jacob entered this world as a world-class adventure and traveler! In between appointments today, Michael and I are going to run over there. I cannot wait to meet the little guy.

I wanted to post Blood Donor center info in case anyone feels like parting with a pint or platelets:
30 Prospect Ave
Hackensack, New Jersey 07601
(201)-996-4819
Ask for Nadia

(they'll give you a free parking pass)


Yesterday's MRI went off without a hitch. My parents were there (my dad and his blood & platelets are very well-known there!) and Siobhan met us too. Sylvie didn't have a second to be psycho. I believe the purpose of the MRI is to give Dr. Valda and Dr. Harris a better picture of Sylvie's liver, NOT diagnosis. Today at 2 pm we have a meeting with Dr. Valda to discuss the procedure. We have lots of questions.

What is the procedure? Removing a large mass or just a biopsy?
What if it's benign?
What's the incision like this time?
How long will the procedure take?
Will he be operating on her alone or with Dr. Alexander?
NO MEDICAL STUDENTS, NO OFFENSE DOCTOR FRIENDS!
Hospitalization time? PICU or Pediatric Oncology?
Post-op recovery?
Is this life-threatening? Can they tell?

Last night, before bedtime, Sylvie asked me if we could have a "fashion show in the height of style." I made her repeat it to me twice just to be certain. I think that's a line from a Barbie book which we haven't read in over a month. Moments later, she got mad at me for spilling magnesium on her dress and declared, "I cannot wear my fancy necklaces with a dirty dress!" And like that, we went upstairs and put on a Princess nightgown, brushed teeth, talked about the good things, read Rabbit's Winter Walk and went to sleep.

We lost power again twice this morning. Sylvie and Sibel descended the stairs to the basement with Cinderella flashlights in hand and I followed them to turn on the lights in Sylvie's fairy tent. No sooner than I switched on the blinking lights, the power returned and Sylvie thought I made it happen. I like being the hero even for just a minute. Today we have lots of fun in store for Sylvie. Tracey's coming over for a play-date and this afternoon, Suzi Shelton and her daughter Emma are coming over with Two Little Red Hens cupcakes, guitar and princess costumes! Yippee!!! Sylvie is going to go bonkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment