Saturday, February 21, 2009

Magnesium was discovered by Sir Humphry Davy in 1808

I couldn't wait for 6 am so that I could officially get up. Uneventful night. More puking from magnesium (more on this later), some antibiotics, a couple of vital sign checks and two messy diaper changes that upset Sylvie more than me. Nice and drafty on my little couch bed, even beneath two blankets folded 4x each. Sylvie alternated between her favorite pink comforter from the Company Store and her cupcake blanket made by Luna Lou. Besides being feisty and fiery, Sylvie's VERY dramatic. There's no such thing as a simple request with Sylvie. There's usually some whining, maybe some fake gasping. Hence at 3 am hearing, "MY CUPCAKE BLANKET!!!!! MY CUPCAKE BLANKET" I interpret as "May I please switch to my cupcake blanket?" in the hopes that this is just a phase.

So magnesium. The Cisplatin chemo drug depletes her body of magnesium (and a host of other lovely side effects) so Sylvie needs to get an oral supplement 4x a day. It's very important. It also makes her puke. The chemo has not made her vomit once, but magnesium-- twice. Lovely. Dr. H, the pediatrician in charge for the week came in to deliver some great news-- Sylvie needs to double her magnesium intake effective immediately! Lovely. He suggested mixing it in Coke! He asked if Sylvie drinks Coke. I wanted to say, "Are you really a pediatrician? She's two and a half!" So here we are the hippie family and our 100% breastfed daughter is getting baby formula fed to her via a tube through her nose and she now gets to drink high fructose corn syrup (which I literally call the DEVIL) laden Coke mixed with her magnesium. We might need to ask the hospital to switch to Pepsi or Paula might get mad at us.

Sidebar 1: I know that my mom has secretly given Sylvie soda and we had a little talk about it a few months ago. When we were in Captiva Island in December, Sylvie wanted Michael's Diet Coke ("Daddy Drink") so badly that we had to hide it and then leave the restaurant. Thanks mom! (she's reading this and knows I love her very much). So we know that Sylvie likes Coke.

Sidebar 2: Michael just told me that the 49ers might sign Michael Vick while he's in prison. I'm trying to be really non-violent and non-vindictive so I'm not sure how to deal with my hatred of Michael Vick or anyone else who abuses or harms animals. I told Michael that he has to officially abandon supporting the team if that becomes a reality.

OK going to pick up my friend Suzi from the train. Sylvie's obsessed with her music. I hope Sylvie recognizes her and is nice. Right now Sylvie is sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment