Saturday, December 5, 2009

Shabbat


Caroline, our amazing au pair, the Brazilian Jackie O, used to dance around the kitchen singing "Fly Me to the Moon" to Sylvie. Naturally, Laurie Berkner recorded it which is how it ended up on Sylvie's ever-growing playlist. The lyrics are so sweet and poignant that I wanted to post them. If you feel so inclined, sing them to your kids while dancing around your kitchen, just like we did.

Last night, at temple, a family friend grabbed Michael's hands and said that Sylvie is the brightest star in the sky. We think so too. I used to ask her if she wanted to be a doctor, nurse, social worker or someone who helped little girls feel better and she always said no. Had I asked her if she wanted to be an angel, I'm sure she would have wholeheartedly said yes.

Temple was really hard for us. I truly embrace the notion of Shabbat and casting aside the week's work and worries for 24 hours of family embracing, literally a day of rest. The notion of Shabbat is partially responsible for the survival of the Jewish faith-- that no matter what hardship and persecution that the Jews were facing, they had Shabbat to look forward to. But watching the 12 year-old kids who are studying for their B'Nai Mitzvah's carouse with the Rabbi, or the family of three sisters on the other side of the aisle play with each other during the service was so incredibly difficult to watch that I couldn't hold back my tears. I imagined over and over and over again how much Sylvie would have loved being there. I kept seeing her angelic school picture come to life. I felt cheated and robbed. I felt like our life as a family was just reset back to zero. Like we're a lifetime away from being anywhere near that again. I fell asleep because I couldn't watch anymore and we snuck out immediately after because I couldn't face the well wishers afterwords. A really nice guy, father of three, did chase us to the coat closet to say how sorry he was.

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On a-Jupiter and Mars
In other words, hold my hand
In other words, baby , kiss me

Fill my heart with song
And let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

5 comments:

  1. Audra,

    I am so glad you are continuing to write in Sylvie's blog. You are a beautiful writer and as heartbreaking the entries are now, I look forward to the day when you can write about Sylvie and smile about your memories of her instead of cry. I cry with you every day my dear friend. Please know you and Michael are never far from our thoughts.

    With much love,

    Sharmon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvie's radiant spirit and light will continue to affect so many she came in contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful song for a beautiful Princess. Thinking of you both today and everyday. May God give you the strength you need and your love for each other give you hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please know the Coviello's are keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers. Each time we pass your house we wonder if we can help - if you ever need ANYTHING, please feel free to ask! Your neighbors, Darlene, Chris, Abby & Ashley (437 Wastena)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodie & Scott SadowskyDecember 6, 2009 at 8:38 PM

    Audra,
    We think of you night and day. I wish that somehow our thoughts (and the thoughts of all those Sylvie - and you through this blog- have touched) would make this easier for you and Michael and your family, that it would relieve even a moment of pain for you. I know it does not, but know, anyway, that we grieve with you and for you.

    ReplyDelete